June 15th 1900
A meeting of the Committee on Real Estate and Building was held in the Guild (Archivist: unsure of transcription) Building, Atlanta, Ga., on June 15, 1900 at 5 P.M.
Present Messrs. St Amand, Moore and Chillingworth, also Rev. C.A. Langston.
The Chairman, Mr. J.G. St. Amand called the meeting to order and C.C. Chillingworth was chosen Secretary pro tem.
Mr. J.C. Fanell, upon request of the Committee, was also present. The Chairman explained the nature of the business before the Committee. The reply of Messrs. Bleckley & Tyler was presented to the committee, and in the plan submitted on the detail specifications prepared by himself. After making his statement the committee asked him many question concerning his estimates.
The communication of Rev. G.L. Chaney to J.G. St. Amand dated June 1st 1900 was discussed by the committee. Moved, seconded and carried that the committee fully appreciates the kindly interest of the Rev. G.L. Chaney in the welfare of the Church of Our Father, but it deems the proposition of Mr. Chaney unwise in that it will antagonize the feeling of the American Unitarian Association towards our movement.
Moved, seconded and carried that the plans in classic architecture submitted by Messrs. Bleckley and Tyler be received and adopted.
The following resolutions were then unanimously adopted.
By the Real Estate and Building Committee of the Church of Our Father that Messrs. Bleckley & Tyler, architects, be instructed to draw plans and receive bids for the erection of a church building in classic style, said building to be complete including all plumbing, gas pipes and fixtures, wiring for electricity, all furniture in the auditorium including pews, pulpit, reading desk, and choir seats, at a cost not to exceed $4,500 including architect’s fee.
The auditorium shall have a seating capacity of not less than two hundred and twenty five, shall contain space for small pipe organ and a choir of ten members, pulpit space, and minister’s room.
The basement shall contain the following rooms and conveniences: Sunday School room and social hall to seat at least seventy; ladies parlor to seat at least forty, and opening into the Sunday School room by means of sliding door or other contrivance; small kitchen; library; furnace room; two water closet, and two wash basins.
The Church of Our Father has 3 doors 3×7-6,2 doors 2-6×7-3, 1 door 2×7-3, 1 pr. outside doors 4×7-5 which may be used in the basement of building.
The building shall be placed on a rock or brick foundation the rest of the wall to be built of material to be selected by the architects.
Secretary pro tempore
June 15, 1900
Source: Physical Archive: UUCA Box: 26 Folder: 02 Book: 02 Pages: 151 – 152
Citation: Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta Records, RG 026, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University, Atlanta GA