Jan 8, 1887
Meeting of the Board of Trustees in the Ladies Room of the Church.
Members present: Messrs. Burns, Harding, Winslow, Norrman, Klingelsmith and Rev. Mr. Chaney.
Mr. Burns was chosen Chairman.
Minutes of last meeting read and approved.
Mr. Norrman reported for the Committee on Care of Property the cost of painting the church at $41.00 and the removal of the furnace and changes connected with it at $15.00 and the same was unanimously approved by the Board.
The same committee was instructed to proceed to darken the windows on each side of the pulpit by nailing on the outside of each window frame heavy oiled canvass.
Mr. Chaney reported to the Board an offer from Prof. Barili (See Archivist Note Below) to give a concert in our church upon some mutual basis agreeable to us. A motion was made and adopted requesting Mr. Chaney to tender to Mr. Barilla the sincere thanks of the Board for his generous offer, the giving of a concert in our Chapel by the Polymnia Club for our mutual benefit; and to accept the offer and make any arrangements in regard to it congenial to the wishes of Prof. Barilla and himself.
J.M. Klingelsmith, Secretary
Physical Archive: UUCA Box: 26 Folder: 02 Book: 02 Pages: 29 – 30
Citation: Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta Records, RG 026, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University, Atlanta GA
Archivist Note: Base on a May 2, 1888 newspaper article in the Atlanta paper, “The Polymnia is composed of sixty-three ladies, every one of whom is a trained singer.” For a performance conducted by Mr. Alfred O. Barili at the DeGive’s opera house, “Forty gentlemen will sing with the Polymnia in the choruses.”