Our Northwest Earth Ministry puts into action our 7th Unitarian Universalist principle “respect for the interdependent web of all existence.”
- We Foster an ecological awareness that comes from a deep reverence and strong commitment to a right relationship with Earth.
- We support the voices of Earth which speak about a culture of life – biodiversity, communion and interdependence – in the sacred web of life.
- We commit ourselves to listen to the voices of Earth and to take action based on those voices.
In 2012, Northwest was officially recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association as an Accredited Green Sanctuary. The program, founded by the UU Ministry of Earth, was designed to give life to the vision that we can create a world in which all people care for the living Earth.
At Northwest, we have installed a solar array on our roof top, continually improve our energy efficiency and have an active Earth Ministry program. We have a beautiful religious home situated on a five acre wooded lot and take seriously our responsibility to preserve and protect the health, vitality, beauty and diversity of our larger home, planet Earth.
- Reducing our congregational energy consumption.
- Improving and expanding our ongoing recycling program.
- Conducting Sunday services, religious education activities, Earth Day celebrations.
- Volunteering our time, talent and treasury to the organizations we support.
- Engaging NWUUC members through Earth Ministry dinner gatherings.
- Maintaining our Green Sanctuary certification.
- Involving children and adults in environmental issues through education about conservation, ecology and the natural environment.
Organizations We Support
- Georgia Interfaith Power and Light: GIPL is an interfaith ministry devoted to deepening the connection between faith and ecology.
- The West Atlanta Watershed Alliance: WAWA is dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment for residents in West Atlanta by preserving green spaces and improving the community’s water quality.
- Greenlaw – Giving Georgia’s Environment Its Day in Court: Greenlaw, founded in 1992 by attorneys, judges and law professors, is committed to providing legal services to protect Georgia’s environment.
- Unitarian Universalist Ministry for Earth: UUMFE envisions a world in which reverence, gratitude and care for the living earth are central to the lives of all people.
- Participate in a service project for one of our supported organizations.
- Support Protect Georgia, an email system that enables individuals to advocate for environmental issues.
- Participate in a Northwest “work party” when we gather to continue our efforts to insulate and upgrade our facilities to make it energy efficient.
- Contribute to our next wave of installation of solar panels on our sanctuary roof.
- Participate as a teacher in one of our Earth Ministry’s educational program at Northwest.
Earth Ministry in the News
Read about our Earth Ministry’s continuing activities.