Atlanta, Ga. April 17, 1904
An adjourned meeting of the church was held today after the service,.
Chairman Watts called the meeting to order, stating the quarterly meeting of the church held Monday April 11th, 1904 the renewal of the present charter which expires in June was discussed and a committee of five appointed to renew same, in renewing the charter two names were suggested from which to select, one, as the quarterly meeting was not largely attended, it was suggested that the matter or adopting a name he left for action at, a meeting to be called after the services today. The name suggested to the church were
“Church of Our Father” Unitarian”
“The Unitarian Church of Atlanta.”
The Chairman invited all present who did not attend the regular quarterly meeting to express themselves, which they did, after which Mr. St. Amand moved that the charter be amended, so as to read.
“The Unitarian Church of Atlanta”, Mr. St. Amand’s motion was seconded by Mr. J.C. Peck and Mr. Hamilton Douglas, of the 27 members – present,17 voted for Mr. St. Amand’s motion and 10 against the motion, so Mr. St. Amand’s motion was lost, as it required a two this is vote to decide the question.
Mr. Crafts then moved that, the name of the “Church of Our Father Unitarian” be adopted, which was seconded, but upon a vote was lost. Mr. Behre then asked permission to change his vote on the original motion of Mr. St. Amand to aye-changing the name to the “Unitarian Church of Atlanta”, which was granted, giving Mr. Behre the right to reconsider. Mr. Behre then stated that as a majority seemed to be in favor of adopting the name “The Unitarian Church of Atlanta”, and as the question had to he acted upon now, in order that steps be taken before the present charter expired, he moved the adoption of the name “The Unitarian Church of Atlanta” which was seconded by several, upon the chairman’s putting Mr. Behre’s motion resulted in 21 members voting in favor of the adoption of the name “The Unitarian Church of Atlanta” which the Chairman decided as carried-
Mr. Behre then moved that on account of the old association connected with the name of the Church of Our Father, that the sign on the church should read ” The Unitarian Church, the name of the Church of Our Father to follow underneath the name “Unitarian Church” Carried –
There being no further business, meeting adjourned.
J.E. Harding, Clerk
Atlanta, Ga. June 19, 1904
At a meeting held today after the regular church C.A. Langston stated that Mr. Hamilton Douglas had informed him that the new charter had been granted, signed by the Judge of the Superior Court, and had been delivered to him, and it would be proper for the church as a body to formally accept the charter, whereupon Mr. St. Amand moved that, the charter be accepted, which was seconded and on a motion being out was unanimously carried after which the meeting adjourned.
J.E. Harding, Clerk
Physical Archive: UUCA Box: 25 Folder: 04 Book: 01 Pages: 256 – 257
Citation: Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta Records, RG 026, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University, Atlanta GA