Church of Our Father – Meeting Minutes, Dec 15, 1896 (Suffrage Meetings to be Held at Church)

Dec 15, 1896

Regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Church of Our Father.

Present: Messrs. Crafts, Peck Davidson, Mrs. Owen and Mrs. Abel.

The minutes of the meeting held on Nov 11 were read and approved.

A request from the Equal Suffrage Association was present through Mrs. Owen and it was ordered that the use of the Church be allowed the Equal Suffrage Association for their meetings in January, the expense attending the use of the Building to be arranged for and paid to Treasurer Lederle.

It was the sense of the Board that the fiscal year of the church ought to be change to correspond with the calendar year, beginning with Jan. and closing with Dec. but action on the matter was deferred.

The attention of the Board was called to a needed repair on the library window and Mr. Peck volunteered to see that the work was done.

Mrs. Abel of the Music Committee reported that Mrs. Lederle, the organist, had volunteered to play at our morning service without compensation.  The Music Committee was instructed to try to get volunteer music for the evening service also until an appropriation can be made for music.

Adjourned.

<signed>

E.A. Davidson, Clerk

Physical Archive: UUCA Box: 26 Folder: 02 Book: 02 Pages: 134 – 135
Citation: Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta Records, RG 026, Archives and Manuscripts Dept., Pitts Theology Library, Emory University, Atlanta GA

Archivist Note: The Atlanta Equal Suffrage Association was formed in in February 1892 primarily by women from the Church of Our Father.  See Newspaper Clippings May 31, 1892.  “Atlanta Equal Suffrage Association formed three months earlier.  Regular meeting held at Unitarian church.  President – Mrs. F.C. Swift; First VP – Mrs. M.L. McLendon; second VP – Mrs. Dr. Hicks; Secretary – Mrs. Trippe, Treasurer – Mrs. M. Chandler.”  Mrs. F.C. Swift was among the first women voted onto the Church of Our Father board of trustees in 1895.

Also see meeting minutes of Nov 15, 1897 where is was “Moved and seconded we allow the Equal Suffrage Association the use of the Church Reading room, for one year, in which to hold their meetings, the E.S.A. to pay the expense of janitor, light and fuel incurred by their meetings.  Motion carried.”

Newspaper articles are not part of the Pitts Theology Library collect. Contact Archivist for access.

Tagged with:
Posted in Church of our Father, Meeting Minutes, Physical Collection, Unitarian Records - Book 2

Archives by Month/Year